Since November, the city has been collecting donated toys and other items for the Jessie Rees Foundation's "JoyJars "project.
Jessie Rees was a 12-year-old girl from Rancho Santa Margarita who inspired the world to never, ever give up in her fight against inoperable brain tumors. Only three weeks after her diagnosis, Jessie created JoyJars to give children facing similar battles some joy while they underwent treatment.
Each jar holds 15-20 new, age-appropriate toys for a kid with cancer.
Jessie lost her battle to the disease in 2012, but her dream and legacy live on.
Donated items can be placed in specially marked boxes at:
- City Hall, 200 Civic Center
- Norman P. Murray Community and Senior Center, 24932 Veterans Way
- Mission Viejo Library, 100 Civic Center
- Montanoso Recreation Center, 25800 Montanoso Drive
- Marguerite Tennis Pavilion , 27474 Casta Del Sol