So what do you do with the tree?
Waste Management will be picking up Mission Viejo residents' trees on scheduled collection days for the next three weeks, Dec. 26-Jan. 17. For the weeks of December 23 and December 30, collection will be delayed one day for customers normally serviced Wednesday through Friday.
Here is a step-by-step guide to trashing your tree, courtesy of the City of Mission Viejo:
- Remove all decorations, including tinsel, lights, ornaments and tree stands, and place tree inside green waste cart. Customers without a green waste cart are asked to place their tree on the curb.
- Trees taller than six feet must be cut in half.
- Please note that flocked trees cannot be recycled. They will be collected by your trash collector.
For the creative recycler, here are other ideas for repurposing your tree:
- Bird feeders: Place the Christmas tree in the garden or backyard and use it as a bird feeder and sanctuary. Fresh orange slices or strung popcorn will attract the birds and they can sit in the branches for shelter.
- Mulch: A Christmas tree is biodegradable; its branches can be removed, chipped and used as mulch in the garden.
- Living, rooted trees: Of course, you can get a rooted tree and then plan it in your yard after Christmas.
For more environmental information, visit cityofmissionviejo.org/green.