A chimney fire that set O'Neill's Bar and Grill ablaze Thursday night at Arroyo Trabuco Golf Club caused $75,000 in damages, authorities said Friday morning.
The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the building's structure and another $25,000 in damage to content within the building, Orange County Fire Authority Captain Steve Concialdi said.
A Mission Viejo fire crew responded to the flames within five minutes of being called, he said. The fire was under control in 21 minutes with four engine companies, three truck companies and a total of 30 firefighters working both inside the restaurant and on the building's roof.
"The guys in Mission Viejo, they always have a quick response," Concialdi said. "They were on scene quickly, and it was an aggressive fire fight. They saved hundreds of thousands of dollars of additional damage through their hard work."
The fire started because a fireplace used daily to burn wood at the restaurant left charred exposed wood around the chimney, Concialdi said.
"That's why it's important to keep your chimney clean, and that all chimneys are built to code," he said. He added that the chimney at O'Neill's was up to code.
O'Neill's is closed for breakfast and lunch, but will reopen for dinner at 4 p.m., according to Food and Beverage Manager Jose Cerrudo. He said the patio, dining room and kitchen were not badly damaged by the fire.