- I met the cutest couple today in Ruby's-they sat at the table next to me as I was eating. I just had to talk to them.
Dave and Sherri just celebrated 47 years of marriage. I asked what the secret was, to staying married so long, and Sherry was quick to reply;
1. Putting The Lord first in our marriage.
2. Praying together.
3. My husband being patient with me.
Wow! That's 47 years of wisdom condensed into two short bullet points.
This is not the first time I've heard this comment from couples who have been married for over 40 years. As simple as this may sound, this requires a lot of work. We are by nature selfish individuals, who wish to please ourselves. The only hope we have of a successful, long, and happy marriage will be to put The Lord first....then being patient with our spouse when he/she misses the mark.
I think the road is probably a bit smoother when you start with a wonderful person, though....God gifted me one of those women!
My challenge to you:
1. Make it a priority to put God first in your marriage.
2. Commit to praying with each other.
3. Be patient with your wife/husband, when they miss the mark.
I am excited by the thought of growing old with my excellent wife! Now I just need to start doing a better job on 'MY' points of responsibilities as the husband, for a happy, successful marriage...which would be; points number one and two.
....who knows; some guy, some day, might ask me about the secret of marriage:-)