- Architect Richard H. Dodd will teach a class on the history of residential building styles in Orange County. The class starts Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the Norman P. Murray Community Center. Registration is required and available by calling 470-3062.
- Capistrano Unified students can skip school Friday, October 4, but not staff. Teachers and administrators will be attending a staff development training on the implementation of the new Common Core State Standards.
- Crown Valley Elementary students have managed to collect 10,000 pink box tops for their school. Each one is worth 10 cents, meaning the dolphins have effectively donated $1,000 to the school. A contest to see who can collect the most box tops continues through Oct. 4.
- If you want to get your child off to a very early start in reading, you might consider the Baby Lap-Sit Early Literacy Class held Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. at the Friends Storytime Room at Mission Viejo Library, 100 Civic Center. Early literacy activities include songs, rhymes, picture books and music. It's free, but attendance is limited.
- Look and listen through a Choral Kaleidoscope as the Master Irvine Valley College Chorale sings music from Beethoven to video games Friday at 8 p.m. at Irvine Valley College, 5500 Irvine Center Drive.